Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Homemade Applesauce

I posted this last year, while I was pregnant, on our front porch blog (now out of commission)....so, I thought I'd share here for those who've asked. ;)

There's just something about applesauce...a light snack with great flavor and when made from scratch leaves your home smelling like Christmas morning. (Jeff was lucky enough to wake up to this scent, as I started it at 5:00 this morning..ahh pregnancy insomnia rears it's ugly head)

Several people have asked for this recipe so I'm giving it up here AND along with any future orders from our shop (written on a Front Porch recipe card!)



Homemade Applesauce

In a large Crock Pot on the 4 hour or high setting add the following:

- 8 peeled, cored, and eighthed apples (variety is the spice of life...but I used HoneyCrisp this morning because they were on sale AND they are delicious)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches ground cloves

Stir every 30-40 min. Apples should begin to fall apart around 2 hours. Continue to cook for remaining 2 hours. Serve warm over vanilla ice cream or keep in refrigerator for a light snack.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

I can smell it already, I need to make some soon, lets make some when the boys are gone!
and whats this about the front porch being out of commission?

Kristen Gough said...

by far my favorite applesauce recipe. thanks for sharing your secrets with us! :)

ilse said...

I made this last year!!! So yummy!!!

Pat said...

Please label your recipes as Recipes; then they'll be easy to find. I'm bringing you a few surprises tomorrow; one is food and the other isn't.

alisha said...

Yumm! Applesauce should help you ring in Autumn. :)

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh. This timing is incredible. Sylvia was telling me today "how to make applesauce." (No idea where the idea came from but the description was amusing). So we were talking about making some together. Anyway pretty funny that you posted this on the same day!

Nadine said...

This looks delicious! I've never had homemade applesauce before! I'm going to try this! Thanks for posting!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made this last night to go on ice cream & my family apple cake recipe for a party last night. It was a huge hit! Thanks so much!

Jenny said...

I'm glad you all like it! I have a lot of fun making up recipes and wish I had more time to do so...don't we all?

Angella watts said...

Nice blog this is.. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog. Looking for a marijuana dispensary near Renton? Have a Heart Skyway/Seatac is the premier Pot Shop in Renton.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin