Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Internet, it actually works!



Last night Jeff taught me all sorts of neat things about the internet, electricity, and telephone wires. What I love most about how Jeff explained things is that he taught it as if I were a two year old and was very VERY thorough ;).

Well, let's see how well I do.

You have a computer that's hooked up to either a cable, dial up or wi-fi connection to the internet, you type in a web address and that request goes through the "line" to a DNS (digital name server I think) which acts as a switchboard operator because it knows were to find the server you're looking for. If it doesn't have the the IP address in it's database it will send it to another DNS until it finds the site you're looking for. You then are connected to the site and that connection allows you to receive the information that is written on the hosts server. TA DA...there's the internet in a nutshell...hope you were able to keep up. I know I used a lot of big words like DIGITAL and SWITCHBOARD.

Don't even get me started on electricity and telephone wires!

So Jeff, how'd I do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I give you credit for actually listening to and retaining that computer lingo. 10 minutes with Tom trying to explain computer stuff to me and my eyes start to glaze over, no matter how hard I try to pay attention....haha.

Jenny said...

blah, blah, blah.

glad to see you're one of my "bleaders" (blog readers) though.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin