Tuesday, November 20, 2007

California Love

I always feel the need to apologize for tardiness when it comes to this blog, but that stops today. For me, this blog has multiple purposes...connect with family and friends AND record things that have happened in my life for future review by my children (?). So, with that spirit in mind I'm going to take the opportunity to record my trip to SoCal in SEPTEMBER, and I'm not sorry about it ;)

Jeff went on a business trip in the beginning of Sept, he arrived in San Francisco early in the month and rented a car. After several days of meetings he drove down to LA-this is where I met him. Being without Jeff for over a week almost sent me into insanity...I found myself coming home everyday to an empty house. I would quickly make top ramen and head to bed with my laptop to watch countless hours of internet tv watching; Men in Trees, Grey's Anatomy, The Practice, Brothers and Sisters...you name it, I watched it. What would I do without ABC, NBC, and CBS? I needed to get away! So, I asked my boss if I could take of early and I caught an earlier flight...1 extra day. It was exactly what WE needed!

The top photo is of the room we stayed in, Jeff surprised me by getting a place in Santa Monica not too far from where I lived my Senior year of college. We ate, we shopped (quite unsuccessfully I might add...here's a ridiculous picture of Jeff trying on what he thought was a normal grey v-neck), we hung out with my friends Heather (for dinner) and Cristie (for room service breakfast), and then we visited Pepperdine.

We visited one of Jeff's family friends...he's a Professor at Pepperdine's Business School. The Business School campus rests above the under-grad campus and wasn't there when I attended. There is also a memorial for 9/11- one of the men on Flight 93 was a Pepperdine alum. It truly is a beautiful spot!
While we waited for Rick (the professor) to finish up on campus we had an opportunity to go hang out on the beach but not before I could snag a pair of rainbow flip-flops from Beckers (I later saw this store, along with many homes in Malibu, up in flames...being there weeks before the fires was surreal).

Victoria and Rick (above) were recently married and we enjoyed an evening with them...they generously treated us to dinner at PF Changs and then Rick gave us a tour of the Malibu hills. Victoria used to live up the street from Brangelina and on the street as Ben Stine and Greg Luganis. Immediately after our dinner date we headed down to San Diego to stay with our old friend/teacher/coach and her lovely family.

Sara (the teacher) was a gracious host, putting us to work on taking the kids to school, cooking muffins to pass out at Alex's school birthday party (pictured above), babysitting, hide and go seek...
Here's their latest addition- Drew and below is Mia, she's a feisty one...she even had the nerve to say "Jeff, I'm in love with you, will you marry me?" Sorry sister! He's taken!

What a beautiful family, I'm always delighted to spend time with them. Jeff and I were truly blessed to have such an amazing teacher...fresh out of college. She doesn't look a day over the 22 years she was when I first met her. I can truly say I've yet to meet anyone with so much energy! Sara, you are a joy!


After our time with the Hansen's we headed down to Chula Vista- saw the lights of Tijuana- to spend the remaining weekend with our dear friend Jane. Above is her mom, Pam, who has hosted me countless times throughout my lifetime...but this was a first as a wife! I think about their family a lot during the Thanksgiving season, this is where I had most of my Thanksgiving feasts during college. Thank you Prince family!!

Jeff finally got his Chick-Fil-A don't ask!



Mud masks are kind of a tradition with Jane (and Jeff, but he wussed out). Participating this year...Morgan and Brody, Jane's niece and nephew! I knew Morgan when she was first born and now she's 12, I kind of can't believe it.


We finished off the trip with one last sunbathe on Coronado Island. Jeff and I both agreed this could be one of the places we "live" for a summer, more on that dream later....

All in all a satisfying trip! But I think we're ready for another vacation...



15 comments:

Jocy May said...

how lovely- thanks for back-blogging!

Brianne said...

Jenny- I loved reading every word. Thanks for the update, sounds like a great time :-)

Kristen Gough said...

what a great trip you guys had! i loved seeing all these photos, and reading about your time. i'm glad you two were able to squeeze in time with so many friends, and relax, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! I was wondering what you guys did..... and I have to know everything it seems. The hotel at the end looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

For some reason when I saw that first picture, I thought you had totally redecorated your bonus room and that's what this was going to be about! I'm a dork-- your trip looked great!

Katie D

Jenny said...

That would have been quite the transformation Katie!

BTW, does anyone know who the first anonymous person was?

Eliza said...

Kudos to you for overcoming the "late blogger" syndrome & posting anyways! Enjoyed hearing & seeing photos about the trip.

The Courter Family said...

oooh! The beach looks soo lovely! I long for a good nap on the beach :) how fun!! thanks for sharing your trip. Can't wait to hear about the house...Steve & Paula just dropped of dinner and shared the news!!! wooohoo!! Congrats guys!

johnhinson said...

so that t-shirt jeffy is wearing - I HAVE THE SAME ONE!!!! Looks better if you are 30lbs overweight though.

Joanna Roddy said...

Nice lengthy blog. Loved it!

Casey said...

Loved reading your vacation post! And I burst out laughing at Jeff and the crazy shirt. Was that seriously for a man??

It was nice to see you guys on Sunday, thanks again for putting the meals together. We just enjoyed our very first one from Paula!

Katie, Ryan, Sean, and Molly said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! I love the photos, and I LOVE that v-neck on Jeff! He has such an eye for fashon. It was so fun seeing you the other night and chatting! Thanks for all you kind words!

amy said...

jenny, reading about your california trip was so much fun! your pictures are great too. we had a high school dance at the hotel del back in the day...it is a really beautiful place. thanks for sharing!

simonsenfamily said...

Jenny the first anonymous was me-Heidi. For some reason your blog wouldn't let me post?

kaseburg said...

Great post Jenny! I have a place for California in my heart too;)

Looks like you guys had lots of fun! I'm glad you got that extra day; sometimes we just need that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin