Thursday, November 01, 2007

Have I Failed?


Yesterday I raced home from work...knowing these two *un-carved* pumpkins were waiting for me (and Jeff). Something inside me said, "you MUST get these carved in order to show all the little children that this house is indeed handing out candy." And ready to hand out candy we were (full size, btw, aren't we cool?)...but pumpkin carved- we were NOT! At least I had a sharpie!

I can't help but feel like I've failed somehow. I've failed as a wife (our first Halloween as a married couple and I can't even pull off pumpkin carving?), a homemaker (nothing in our house is holiday related- I have made a small attempt in the dining room, and by small I mean I bought a bag of mixed gourds at Costco and sprawled them out on the table), and a crafter (this is the sort of thing I like doing, right?)

Anyway, the evening wasn't a total loss- Jeff bought rotisserie chicken and angel hair pasta for dinner (so sweet) and we watched The Office and The Nativity Story (if I can't do Halloween right the least I can do is get a good start on Christmas) while we handed out candy to 2- yes, 2- groups of trick or treaters- 8 in all! I'm also looking forward to gutting these pumpkins and roasting the seeds...

Oh, well, I never much liked Halloween anyway! But even though I sound like a downer- I had a really great night and I hope you all did too.

9 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

jenny, i think your pumpkin is very cute! we didn't carve pumpkins this year either, though I did get a huge blue hubbard and a couple large gourds for the front porch. I also wanted our house to appear "kid friendly", so I cut a large ghost out of white butcher paper, drew in two eyes and a mouth with a black sharpie, and taped him to the front door. We actually ran out of candy this year, which is definitely a first for us. and one little boy was so overcome with joy at the sight of Grover that he actually forgot to take a piece of candy--until we reminded him! (and no, Grover wasn't even in costume!)

It sounds like you and Jeff did have a wonderful evening, all things considered. Your dinner sounds great! And I don't think you're a failure! There's no rule that says you have to make a big deal out of every holiday. I say pick and choose!

Kari said...

ha ha, that is an awesome sharpie pumpkin, we have several at our house and saben loves playing with them. And we should be having all this fun carving pumpkins with Saben right? No, he won't touch them. He just sits and watches me, all grossed out.

Casey said...

I'm with you Jenny...

We totally got pumpkins this year, but there it sits in the corner...uncarved. I also picked up a bag of gourds and a pumpkin candle so I figured that was enough. ;)

And you got more trick or treaters than us! Not a single one here!!! I was so shocked. Now I have a huge bowl of candy...we'll be eating it for months.

Jenny said...

Thanks ladies! Good to know I'm not the only one with un-carved pumpkins...these things just sneak up on you, next thing you know it will be Thanksgiving! Where are the days going?

I enjoyed some skittles on my way into work today..i just might get candied out!

Brianne said...

Jenny, you are not a failure! I always have figured Halloween is one if those small holidays that comes up quick and is really there to remind us that a bigger better one is just around the corner... Thanksgiving!

kaseburg said...

I think the pumpkins look great! We didn't even get anything written on ours. At least we took Thad to the patch and picked it out. It still sits. Maybe we'll roast the seeds like you said.

Thad was a cute little chicken. I'll get to blogging soon. I just need David to download the pics for me. ...I know, right?? I can't do it myself. Just have not learned how. Ya think I should?

alisha said...

Don't worry, we didn't even get any trick or treaters! I have purchased a small pumpkin (uncarved and otherwise unfaced) and am planning to make some pumpkin chocolate cupcakes with it this week.

simonsenfamily said...

We had an un-carved pumkin too. I think it's a trend..... no worries, your still a domestic goddess!

Katie, Ryan, Sean, and Molly said...

I thought about getting pumpkins . . . does that count? I guess I need to get a costco membership so I can decorate a little better during the holidays. Yes, I know, we might be the only people left w/o a costco membership. Sorry Jenny!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin