Monday, December 14, 2009

Book Report :: Operating Instructions


I had mixed feelings about this highly recommended journal. The timing of it could not have been more perfect as I, myself, was wrapping up the first year of my son's life..my first year of motherhood. And it completely made me wish I had written my own daily journal, but I'm sure it would not have been as well written or clever so I guess it was nice to just read Anne's and think, "wow, I felt that way too...or...Wes did that!"

There were moments I literally LOL (laughed out loud) but there were also times I cringed at her brazen account or crass viewpoint on motherhood, politics and christianity. It was an honest read, but sometimes you just want to remember the good stuff, you know? Otherwise, how do people decide to do it all over again with a 2nd? 3rd? 4th?

To say I can't truly relate to the author is an understatement (she's a recovering addict and single mom), so it was interesting to see what was different and the same and to realize that no matter the circumstance there is a bond between all mothers that is encouraging and wonderful.

And no one warned me about the cancer story also found within...so heartbreaking!

It's a great book to pick up and set down since the chapters are brief daily entries. I actually thought I left it at the gym and later realized that it was just in my gym bag which I hadn't picked up in over 3 weeks...but I guess I can't really hold that against the book.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin